One of my favorite cooking methods is braising as it is one of the most fool proof and easiest ways of cooking, not to mention a one-pot-meal! Braising is a cooking method that uses both moist and dry heat, typically used for tougher cuts of meat that require longer cooking times.
There are various versions of braising in one pot, most notably the French version, pot-au-feu, “pot on the fire”. Short ribs are an amiable cut of beef perfectly suited for braising or slow barbecuing, both of which tenderizes the meat and brings out its rich flavor.
2 racks of grass fed beef back ribs (7 ribs per rack)
1 cup leeks – whites only, washed and sliced
1 cup white onion – diced
3 garlic cloves
1 Bouquet Garni (bay leaf, rosemary, thyme)
8 cups beef broth
1 cup red wine (zinfandel, syrah)
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tbsp. black peppercorns
3 tbsp. Olive oil
8 oz. mini potatoes – halved
8 oz. baby carrots – washed but not peeled
Preheat oven to 350° (180°C)
1. Begin by preheating a large skillet on high heat.
2. Season each beef rib with S&P.
3. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and in batches, sear ribs on all sides for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Once browned, place in large oven proof roasting pan, repeating until all ribs are seared.
5. After all the ribs have been browned, drain off excess oil from skillet and wipe with a paper towel.
6. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic and garam masala for 2 minutes on medium heat.
7. Add in wine and simmer for another minute.
8. Transfer onion mixture along with leeks, peppercorns, bouquet garni and broth to roasting pan.
9. Cover with foil and pop in oven.
10. Cook for 2½ hours or until ribs are fork tender.
11. After 2 hours add baby carrots and mini potatoes to ribs and place back in oven for remaining 30 minutes or until ribs are tender and vegetables are cooked.
Take Note! These aren’t going to look like your typical barbecued ribs. By braising, the meat becomes so tender it falls off the bone.
This is one one-pot-meal with big flavor!
All recipes are made with the finest quality farmers market whole foods, natural and non-processed ingredients.