Looking to find new ways to incorporate whole grains into your diet? Although technically barley is not considered a whole grain, the high fiber content enables it to be counted toward your whole grain servings. It comes in two forms, either ‘pearled’ or ‘quick cooking,’ the latter of which is perfect for soups especially for those of you still wearing your winter woolies.
2 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup white onion – fine dice
½ cup celery – thinly sliced
1 large garlic clove – minced
6 oz oyster mushrooms – chopped
1 medium roasted chicken – meat shredded
1/3 cup barley
2 bay leaves
1 14 ½ oz can chopped tomatoes
6 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
3 tbsp. fresh parsley – chopped ½ lemon – zested
1. Begin by preheating soup pot on medium heat for 1 minute.
2. Add olive oil and sauté the onions and celery for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not brown.
3. Add garlic, mushrooms and bay leaves and continue sautéing for additional 3 minutes.
4. Add broth and tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil.
5. Once boiling reduce to a simmer and partially cover with lid.
6. Cook for 15 minutes.
7. Add barley and cook for 20 minutes.
8. Add shredded chicken and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
9. Finish by adding fresh chopped parsley and lemon zest.
10. Taste and season.
All recipes are made with the finest quality farmers market whole foods, natural and non-processed ingredients.