I got this email from a friend recently with an article in it about the toxicity of onions so I figured I’d pass on what I learned and see if any of you have any experience or have any comments on it. Basically the crux of the article says that onions are a magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. It says that when you cut an onion but only use say half of it, you should never reuse the other half even if it’s been stored in a Ziploc or container in the fridge. Instead we should just chuck out the other half. I’ve always reused leftover onion and I’m still kicking so take this for what it’s worth. I know I’m not alone but I hate to waste food so I always try to use up everything but now I might have to rethink this.
How ’bout this one: In 1919 40 million people died from the flu. A doctor went to one family’s house and saw that everyone was healthy. When he asked them what they did to prevent them from getting the flu he found out that had put an unpeeled onion in every room of the house. The doc put one of the onions under a microscope and found the onion had absorbed the bacteria which kept the family from getting it. Might be worth a try next flu season.
Another example: This lady said she got pneumonia and obviously was pretty sick. She had heard that putting an onion with both ends cut off in a jar and putting it next to a sick person would turn the onion black from absorbing all the germs. She tried it and said it did turn the onion black and she started to feel better. Who knew?
Now if you do have some leftover onion one way to get around having to chuck it out would be to cook it there and then and keep it in the fridge for next time. I wouldn’t keep it for for too long but at least you’ll use it.
I’ve never heard of any of this so I’d be interested to hear what you guys think. Anyone have any first hand experience with this?? Do tell.